Sport Excellence Lead (Atlantic Division of Canoe Kayak Canada)
Employer: Atlantic Division of Canoe Kayak Canada
Number of Positions: 1
Deadline for Applications: March 1, 2019
About the Atlantic Division CanoeKayak Canada (ADCKC):
Since 1956, the ADCKC has supported paddle sport and our member clubs in Atlantic Canada. We are the Provincial Sport organization for Nova Scotia, and the regional governing body for the Atlantic Canadian chapter of Canoe Kayak Canada.
We support everything from grassroots paddlers to high performance and national team athletes, our main office is located on Lake Banook in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, and our mission is to provide excellence in leadership, guidance and support for our members and to provide safe and fair competitive environments that will ensure the successful development of high performance athletes and lifelong paddlers.
The position of Sport Excellence Lead with the ADCKC is responsible for administering all coaching pathways, regatta management & oversight, and ensuring regional sport performance and participation is holistically aligned with LTAD & ADCKC priorities. This position is a hybrid role that encompasses typical tasks associated with both a head coach and a technical director.
In terms of the development path, this leader will work closely with our key stakeholders, clubs, and athletes to support appropriate growth and progression. Relationship management and an acute understanding of the sport from a technical, organizational, and coaching perspective are required.
Work tasks will include:
- Design, organize and execute of yearly training and racing plans (in conjunction with Canoe Kayak Canada (CKC) initiatives and Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD))
- Develop an annual racing schedule
- Manage seasonal staff, as needed, to execute regattas and to provide guidance & coaching support
- Communication effectively with all key stakeholders (coaches, officials, athletes)
regarding plans and operations for regattas and off-season events
- Support the execution of remote regattas,, as required.
- Work in partnership with the Canadian Sport Centre Atlantic/CKC coaching lead to support coaching initiatives and sundry needs for Junior National Team, Core Teams, and other key groups identified for training.
- Provide leadership, support, coaching and training plans for identified key target groups and clubs. This applies to in competition and in training camp This may include travel to major events as an ADCKC representative.
Support regional training initiatives both on and off-water including but not limited to:
- Atlantic Team Trials
- Dryland fitness testing
- Cross-country running
- Swim Meets
- Other opportunities
- Build and execute strategic plans for the high-performance pathway.
- Research and provide guidance to stakeholders on national criteria for team selection and carding.
Develop criteria for any relevant team selections where needed, (including but not limited to):
- Canada Games
- Atlantic Core Team
- Special Travel Team selections
- North American Indigenous Games (as support)
- Lead coach education efforts and provide guidance and leadership to support continuous opportunities for our coaches.
Strategic Operations & Partnership Support
- Work to develop and contribute to strategic projects with CSCA, CKC, Sport Nova Scotia, Sport Canada, and others as needed.
- Work to integrate innovative thinking to opportunities related to high performance (including Para excellence) and indigenous canoe kayak opportunities.
- Maintain reporting on high-performance duties and progress of coaches, teams etc.
- Maintain data management of key documentation such as criteria, results, regatta entries other.
- Document best practices, process, and protocol to ensure knowledge transfer and systemization of work.
- Manage, complete and oversight of government applications and grant support documents (where applicable).
Valued Skills and Aptitudes:
- High-level Coaching certification
- French language fluency (in addition to English)
- Experience with high-performing regional and national team programs as a head coach or administrator
- Technology proficiencies (excel, G Suite, database management, other)
- Polished public-speaking skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Post-secondary education applicable to the role
Please submit cover letters & resumes to:
[email protected] (only candidates being considered will be contacted)